Register Search FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic Client-Server connection issue
Client-Server connection issue
podarce

Hello,

i'm facing the following issue:

after powering on a station, it can't see anymore the server, nor even the server can see the station.
Before the reboot everything was working fine.
Note that refreshing network i can see the station. From station client i can select the correct server. Just looks like the server and client program can't comunicate each other.
Could you possibily help me ?

A side note: please, fix the languages translations releasing a language pack. I'm really afraid to set my own language since the translation sounds ridiculous.

Many thanks

Daniele
dynasoft
Site Admin

Hi

Can you please advise which language this is and sorry if there is any problem with it. We will release a new update soon that tackles a few issue. However the one you raise here is best resolved by going to the troubleshooting section of the manual. Here is what it says:

f. Client PC’s don’t connect: The client pc has a label where error information appears whenever there is a fault. Go over the disconnected icon when the pc is in idle mode (no session active) with the mouse and read what is on there. Send the text to us if you decide to get in touch with us. This can be due to any one of the following things:
i. Your network is infected with viruses that have damaged critical system files, like DCOM or mswsock.dll.
ii. The client pc does not point to the correct server pc. If the logon boxes show on the client PCs, enter your operator details, click OK. The screen will minimize. Click twice on the bar and close the programme. The operator will only be able to log into a client pc if the programme has connected previously with the server. Launch the SurfShop Installer, and choose delete all configuration files in the drop-down menu at the bottom. If the client pc logon box does not show, restart in safe mode (press F8 before the Windows picture logo shows), locate the file ‘shopservdata.txt’ in the windows directory and delete it. Restart the machine and complete the server identification again. Use this Installer utility as explained here every time you have problems with your programme. SurfShop will then be reset if you delete the configuration files. For SurfShop Pro and to register your licence again, go to our customer logon area and generate a new key as explained in paragraphs 3.1.4, 5 & 3.1.5, 1. Another way to prevent SurfShop from starting on each reboot is to delete either directly in the PC’s registry or by connecting remotely from a different PC and deleting the entry for SurfShop in the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
iii. Make sure you can ping all PCs on your network (names and IP addresses), and that they all have the same subnet mask. Bad switching of packets between PCs and bad configuration of the IP stack can cause the PCs not to connect as Cybercafe SurfShop uses the IP addresses to establish communications. We have found that some routers, hubs or switches can have faulty switching modules and that some cards do not relay the ICMP protocol (used when pinging) correctly (especially VIA Rhine II cards, and early models of the ADSM modem/router Thomson Speedtouch). Replace the faulty switch, hub, router or LAN card with ones that work.
iv. Multiplying the Internet connections can cause the networking of Windows not to work correctly. Especially running a router-based connection on the back of an Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) connection can cause the networking in Windows to stop responding to pinging between stations.
v. Make sure all the Microsoft updates and service packs, and utilities are correctly installed as explained in point 15 above. This is especially true for Windows 95, 98, ME and 2000.
podarce

Those days i've tried to work out the issue i'm facing with some stations.
So i've decided to re-install the whole software on the client machines.
The issue still remains: there is ok comunication between server and client but after powering off the client machines or restarting the server-side application, surfpro client and server can't comunicate.

As written in the post above, the server recognizes the client PC (via ip address) and the string inside windows folder in the client machine is pointing correctly to the server name.

Today i've tried something different.
From the server i've right-clicked on the client station (disaplayed in the stations summary page) and started a session.
The session correctly opens (even if the light button is black) and now server and client work perfectly, recognizing each other,
status light turns red and after ending the session it turns green.

Any guess of this strange behaviour ?
It looks like the server can't execute a correct polling on client machines.

Hope you can help.

Podarce
dynasoft
Site Admin

Hi

Please connect with us on Windows Messenger using our address info@dynasoft.net during the day, UK time and we'll look into this with you. Also please follow the instructions below:

So we can help you diagnose the problem you are having, please install a vpn (Netmeeting, Windows Live Messenger's Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop, realvnc.com or TeamViewer) on the PC giving problems. More information on how to use MS Windows Live Messenger's Remote Assistance: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457004.aspx. Use info@dynasoft.net to get in touch with us via Windows Live Messenger - For realvnc, you may find more information about it here: http://www.realvnc.com/gettingstarted.html. Make sure you redirect ports 5800 + 5900 in your router and/or firewall to the LAN ip address of the PC you're working on. Use this page to check if your copy of VNC Server is reachable from outside: http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/nettest.cgi. You will have to send us your public IP address and VNC password once it is installed correctly. Make sure no firewall is blocking the VNC ports. For SurfShop, if the problems occur on a client PC, please install the VPN on both the server and this client PC and send us the ip address and password (if set) for both. Thank you.

Regards,

Mike
dynasoft
Site Admin

Hi

We've recompiled sspro just in case the problem came from a bad compilation of the sw. Please turn to our downloads page and download the sw again.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Mike
Client-Server connection issue